Many people are not sure how to manage their social media effectively as it is not their fault. Many of them just do not have the time, or are they aware of what to do on social media and don’t have the knowledge. This goes beyond sharing content that is not acceptable to share on networks. I see a lot of common mistakes, especially made on Twitter and I will list them.
1. A Crazy Avatar or an Egghead– Eggheads drive me as well as so many others crazy, and avatars that are not relevant to you or your business are just as bad. It is highly recommended to upload a clean picture of yourself for your own Twitter account, and a business logo for your business Twitter account. People want to see a picture of you for your own Twitter account. There is nothing else that you can put that will be acceptable.
2. Tweeting Every Minute– Do not tweet every minute, or even every five minutes. I personally tweet new information every 2 hours, unless there are retweets or mentions. Tweeting so often will drive followers away.
3. Twit Validation Messages– There is nothing worse than following someone who will not accept you in anyway that has an auto direct message that states that all followers need to be validated and that they are not spam accounts. I understand there is a lot of spam issues, however if you are working on attracting followers, do not use this! It is a big turn off.
4. Spamming– You knew this was coming and is a no brainer. Do not over-promote anything. You can mention anything to do with your business perhaps 10% of the time you tweet. If people are interested in what you tweet out, they will look at your profile and will see your past tweets.
5. Too Many Irrelevant Tweets– What is your main niche? Whatever it is, 80% of your tweets must revolve around it one way or another. It is okay to post anything that is not related to your niche 20% of the time, especially if you are retweeting something that you may find important from someone who you are following that is not related to your niche. Just remember to stick with sending out relevant and educating content that is niche related most of the time.
6. Profanity– There is nothing worse than seeing tweets that are on my feeds that are filled with profanity. It makes the user looks horrible, so refrain from cussing not just on Twitter, however on all of your other networks.
7. Tweeting What you Had for Lunch– Unless you work in the food industry, and you want to tweet your experience of eating something new and exciting, does anyone really care what you had for lunch, breakfast or dinner? Remember to keep your tweets relevant, or interesting!
8. Adding too Many Hashtags– It is recommended to add no more than 3 hashtags to your tweets, as adding more than that appears spammy, If you want to spread different hashtags around, appoint 2-3 hashtags to each tweet and vary it per tweet. For instance if you want to add 6 hashtags to a tweet, you can send a similar tweet 2 hours apart, and use 3 hashtags for one, and the last 3 for the other tweet.
9. Over-Mentioning– It is okay to mention a group of names once in a while, however if you do this all of the time, it will annoy your followers. If you want to thank 12 Twitter users for instance, you can send 2 tweets of 6 names within 24 hours of one another. However if there are more people you want to thank, you may want to consider thanking them individually or waiting another day if you want to lump the names.
There are more mistakes that people tend to make on Twitter than the 9 I have listed, however, this alone gives you a good idea of what not to do on Twitter. If you have been making this mistake, do not worry. Just apply it while tweeting in the future.